Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Baby Bottle Lab

The baby bottle lab was successful! My bottle, propelled by the reaction of vinegar and baking soda, traversed the full distance for a triumphant outcome. The amount of trial and air was minimized by experimental awareness, as well as working within the optimal ratio of vinegar and baking soda to eliminate un-reacted materials. As I saw in my first two trials the distance traveled, I was able to estimate about how much more I needed based on the fraction of how far I had gone, vs how far left to go. Limiting reactants are determined by stoichiometric amounts simply because molecules do not have the same mass, therefore, in order to make use of the molar ratio, one must convert to moles, and do the stoichiometry thing. If the ratio in the reaction is one molecule to another, on gram of that thing to a gram of the other is not the same thing, one could be heavier than the other, so one gram would be less of that thing than the other. If I were to do this lab again, I would be sure to gather more detailed information to try and discover a relationship between CO2 produced and distance traveled, maybe after I could then redo the experiment with a relation to time rather than distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment