Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Book, what book?

For my glog I am reading The Knife Man, by Wendy Moore. This book covers a turning point in medical history as a one man surgical revolution takes on Georgian Europe with his daring and unconventional methods. This book details the scientific methods used by John Hunter, as well as the lengths he went to achieve greater understanding of surgery and  the human body. In a time when mortality rates associated with surgery were sky high, Hunter achieved an anatomical understanding that surpassed any of his day. Although I did not choose this book myself, I find the mix of intriguing story line history and scientific background to be most refreshing. After beginning this book, I am very glad that I did not grow up in the 1700's, where, if I was lucky enough to grow up, I may have had to risk a surgery with only a stiff shot of alcohol, while conscious, bleeding to death as an incompetent surgeon blundered around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment